How To Check For and Install Windows Updates
Windows updates are most easily installed using the Windows Update service. While you could certainly download updates manually from Microsoft’s servers, updating via Windows Update is considerably easier to do. The Windows Update service has changed over the years as Microsoft released new versions of Windows. While Windows updates used to be installed by visiting the Windows Update website, newer versions of Windows include a special built-in Windows Update feature with more options. Below is the best way to check for, and install, Windows updates based on your version of Windows.
Check For and Install Updates in Windows 10
- Select the Start, then select Settings > Update & security > Windows Update . If you want to check for updates manually, select Check for updates.
- Select Advanced options, and then under Choose how updates are installed, select Automatic (recommended).
Check For and Install Updates in Windows 8.1
- Open Windows Update by swiping in from the right edge of the screen (or, if you’re using a mouse, pointing to the lower-right corner of the screen and moving the mouse pointer up), select Settings > Change PC settings > Update and recovery > Windows Update. If you want to check for updates manually, select Check now.
- Select Choose how updates get installed, and then under Important updates, select Install updates automatically (recommended).
- Under Recommended updates, select the Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates check box.
- Under Microsoft Update, select the Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows check box, and then select Apply.
Check For and Install Updates in Windows 7
- Select > Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update
2. In the Windows Update window, select either important updates are available or optional updates are available. The system will automatically check if there’s any update that need to be installed, and display the updates that can be installed onto your computer.
3. Click Install Updates
4. Restart if necessary.
5. Repeat until all updates are installed.