If a G Suite user permanently deletes their Gmail or Drive data and later wants to get it back, you may be able to retrieve it for them. As an administrator, you can restore the user’s data from the Admin console within a date range you specify.
You can only restore permanently deleted items. An item is permanently deleted when the user’s Trash is emptied.
After you restore an item in Drive, the user needs to re-share the item for others to have access.
You have a limited time from when the data was permanently deleted to restore files and messages. After that, the data is gone forever.
What you can do
- Restore data for up to 10 users at a time.
- Restore data that was permanently deleted within the past 25 days.
- Select a date range to restore data that was deleted within that range.
- Check a user’s Gmail inbox or Drive folder to confirm the data is restored.
- Restore data to a Team Drive, or restore a deleted Team Drive.
What you can’t do
- Restore data that was permanently deleted more than 25 days ago.
- From the spam folder, restore deleted messages.
- Restore deleted email drafts.
- In Drive, restore deleted Google My Maps files.
- From the user’s Trash, restore data.
- If a user met their Drive storage quota, restore their Drive data.